Introducing Tamara Yuill Proctor
Kia Ora Whanau,
I am thoroughly enjoying my new position with Kaha Education and visiting a variety of schools. Currently I'm studying for my Educational Doctorate (EdD). The focus is on integrated curriculum in the secondary school environment. I'm also interested in the integration of technology to enhance teaching and learning programs.
Integrating technology – where to start?
- - It is important that the learning outcome is at the centre and not the tool. Think about what you are wanting to achieve and if the tool you want to use will enhance the learning or not.
- - Start small. Maybe you want to have students to work collaboratively on a presentation to share their learning. ‘Sway’ is a great tool, easy to use and engaging. You might want to get an expert in to discuss a topic/issue but travel is impossible, try ‘Skype in the classroom’.
- - If you are a school that uses Microsoft tools sign up to the free Microsoft Educators Community. Here you will find an active community of educators across the globe for support, online tutorials on the variety of tools and much more
- - If you are a Google school take a look at Google for Education. You can find training tools, resources and talk to Google experts.
- - Use online tools to share student work with whanau
- - Get student voice – see what they like using and playing around with and then think about how you could incorporate this into the classroom. I had a Year 10 student who wanted to be in the gaming industry and spent a lot of time designing his own games. I had him design a setting for a short story using his talents in gaming. Not only did he write an excellent short story but the reader could play the video game.
- - Other ideas: set up your own blog to share your practice. Twitter is a great tool to follow other educators and to gain a wealth of information from across the globe. Facebook has number of pages for teachers set up by different subject organisations, for example, English Online have a page.
Digital Fluency is one of the National Priorities for PLD funding. This previous blog post can provide you with information on how we can help with this.
Tam Yuill Proctor